Saturday, November 15, 2008

No Daycare in Tok

Besides a high-speed (and affordable) Internet connection, the other thing I wanted to make sure of in Tok was some kind of daycare for our 2-year-old. She is currently enrolled in a full time daycare in Anchorage and attends from around 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday. She loves it, and really seems to thrive with the interaction and routine.

I called around the other day to find out what would be available for a 2-year-old in terms of day care. First, I called the Tok School, however, they start at Kindergarten for 5-year-olds.

They referred me to Head Start but I soon learned that Head Start begins at 3 years old. I was beginning to feel discouraged, however, the woman at Head Start - who has a 2 and a 4-year-old - said she would put the word out that I was looking for someone to care for my toddler. I told her I'm willing to have someone come to my home to watch my daughter while I work - and that I pay well.

"Day care is one thing that is lacking here in Tok," she admitted, much to my dismay. However, after speaking with her a little more, I was excited to have my first contact with a mom of toddlers in Tok.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: